[ExI] Smallest human-equivalent device

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 04:37:18 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> We could imagine retrofitting existing cars with the sensors, but that would
> be costly.

### If you watch Mythbusters, they retrofit jalopies for remote
control on the cheap. A fully doped out driving computer might make do
with 6 - 7 cameras and some microphones for its sensor suite, all off
the shelf stuff. Adding autonomous driving capability to random old
cars should be quite cheap eventually - although it's possible that
the software/system vendors would initially refuse to offer retrofit
kits and rather try to push new cars out.

 I can imagine a next-generation idea: driving robots capable of
> taking a current Detroit and driving it unmodified, as is.  It would need to
> be able to take the keys, open the door, get in, start the car, drive it
> somewhere safely, come back, lock it and leave.

### Eh, with trivial modifications that robot could drive to your
house and stay, as long as you wished to pay for her company..... but
that's a whole new generation, indeed.

Rafal