[ExI] [CryonicsVitalSignsAlerts] Quantified Self Forums

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Oct 16 13:17:57 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded message from ben_best_ci <benbest at gmx.com> -----

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:29:45 -0000
From: ben_best_ci <benbest at gmx.com>
To: CryonicsVitalSignsAlerts at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CryonicsVitalSignsAlerts] Quantified Self Forums

Last week I was able to attend the 2013 Quantified Self
conference in San Francisco. It was a fantastic experience.
I am now geared-up to quantify myself in even more ways
than 23andme, blood tests, etc. There was an exhibitors' area
at the conference. One of the more promising products that
I saw was Vital Connect http://www.vitalconnect.com/ which
will reportedly be available in the first quarter of 2014.
I have had so many disappointments in the past that I am
not holding my breath, but they do seem credible.

There is much that life extensionists can appreciate at a
Quantified Self conference. The QS community is a bunch of folks
gathering data about themselves for the purpose of self-improvement
in a wide range of areas, health in particular. They have forums
that are open for participation by anyone, so I would encourage
anyone interested in this area to investigate:

https://forum.quantifiedself.com/

      -- Ben Best

--- In CryonicsVitalSignsAlerts at yahoogroups.com, "ben_best_ci" <benbest at ...> wrote:

>   I am at the SENS Conference in Cambridge, England
> where I ran into Brent Erskin. Brent was formerly
> involved in the Toronto cryonics group, but he is
> now living in northern British Columbia (Rupert,
> Terrace area).
>
>   Aside from his hospital networking expertise,
> Brent is an expert in Apple apps, which he says
> are much more advanced and numerous than what is
> available for Android devices. Brent has been
> very interested in the subject of vital signs
> monitoring -- not simply as alerts of the
> moment of death, but to provide alerts that
> would allow prediction of impending death
> (which would be better for cryonics purposes
> than an alarm after death has occurred).
>
> Brent has attended two of the Quantified
> Self" conferences.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantified_Self
>
> I have booked a flight to attend the upcoming
> conference in October, although Brent says he
> will not be attending this one.
>
> http://quantifiedself.com/topics/conference-2/
>
> Brent is currently most excited about "Scanadu Scout"
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanadu
>
> http://www.scanadu.com/scout/
>
> which is expected to be released before the end
> of 2013. It is a device uses optics to read blood
> values when held next to the forehead. This is not
> continuous monitoring. It does not appear to me to
> give heart rate and blood pressure, but Brent claims
> that it will. Of course, we still want a device that
> will send an alarm to a call center -- and provide
> GPS information about the location and identity
> of the sender.
>
> I have invited Brent to join this group, and hope
> that he will contribute his extensive knowledge about
> medical device apps. And get the discussion going-again
> on this Yahoo Group.
>
>                 -- Ben Best

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional