[ExI] readers digest version of hayek

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 09:38:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
<snip>
> The $600 million dollars is incredibly stupid. I heard that the two guys who
> ran the winning bid for building the web site each walked away with $80
> million dollars a piece in pure profits.
>
> I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the whole site built for less than $20
> million, and still had $10 million in profit.

That's not the way government contracts work.

The 600 million includes paying for jobs (necessary or not) in their
area, to get popular support.

The 'profits' may look huge, but a big share of that goes back to the
politicians in kickbacks, lobbying, political contributions, etc. If
it doesn't, you won't get any more government contracts.

The same system works at state and city level, except it is possibly
even more corrupted. Jobs and contracts for family and friends, etc.

BillK