[ExI] How to build a happier brain

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 15:34:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> I would love to know how to manipulate the mood setpoint of the brain.

When my mood gets gloomy I think that individuals having full access to
their mood setpoints could be the explanation for the Fermi Paradox.
Einstein must have felt great on the day he discovered General Relativity,
but it took him 10 years and was such hard work that he lost 40 pounds and
it nearly killed him. How much easier it would have been if he could have
gotten that exact same feeling of pride of accomplishment and awe at the
profound beauty of the universe by just sitting on his ass and turning a
knob.

   John K Clark