[ExI] yet another ethical dilemma

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 18:17:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM, spike wrote:
> Hmmm, ja, but I am still choking on that.  General Lee did not allow his men
> to behave in this shameful way.  When they were caught raping the locals in
> their campaigns in the north, there was bloody hell to pay.  General
> Sherman's orders, on the other hand, offered no guidelines to prevent this
> sort of thing on his murderous rampage to the sea in 1864.  I curse his
> goddam memory while simultaneously acknowledging my existence was the
> result.  Ja, it is a weird mixture of emotions.

If it helps you could make a case that your ancestor saved her life.

Given the circumstances of the 'scorched earth' destroy everything
campaign, it would have been very easy for the infantry squad to kill
the girl to destroy the evidence of the crime. One more death among
thousands would not have been noticed. Perhaps your ancestor made
great efforts to save her life.
(Is there a film script in here somewhere?).

BillK