[ExI] How to make progress (was Re: Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change?)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 7 21:00:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 02:27:52PM -0600, Brent Allsop wrote:

> Why is it that people are so willing to put so much time, effort and
> pain on possibly critically important things like this, when there
> are better ways to go about this and get something done. Sure, there
> could be some existential threat out there, but if there is is this
> the best way to go about it?

A number of people are seeing a crtical problem ahead, yet the majority
doesn't. In order to solve the problem it however requires the action of
the majority. This thing is way too big for people, or municipalities.
This is nation-state, nay, planet-scale.

Therein lies the problem. We are yeast. Don't hate on
http://ecoapocalypse.blogspot.nl/2013/09/why-do-political-and-economic-leaders.html
so much. Try some suspension of disbelief, and as a working
hypothesis assume it's modelling many aspects that are true.

What is the best way to go about it? It seems that we've ran
out of options but at personal and small community level due
to the reasons outlined above.

Even knowing that doesn't help much, since most of us are locked
in a precarious configuration it will hurt to change short-term.
Yet by acting too late we will not be able to effect that transition.

It seems the best strategy now is to act ruthless, bold and selfish,
and make your exit while you still can. The exit must involve building
a mutually supportive rural community. This is an alien concept to
many.

Here my fortune cookie ends. In case yours says something else,
let's compare notes (please no discussions about how it's all
unreal; because: nazis wear nice leather uniforms).