[ExI] How Electricity Became a Luxury Good

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 9 13:26:11 UTC 2013

>... On Behalf Of Mirco Romanato
> Former Environment Minister Jürgen Tritten of the Green Party once
> claimed that switching Germany to renewable energy wasn't going to
> cost citizens more than one scoop of ice cream... Mirco

Notice he didn't offer a time unit along with that scoop of ice cream.  Will
the cost be less than one scoop of ice cream per day?  Or a scoop per
minute?  Per second?  Per kilowatt hour?

We see this in the form of radio commercials which assure us the stock
market will DOUBLE!  Sure, they are always right, but in what time frame?  A
year?  A decade?  A century?  They never say what time they predict this
doubling, and without that, the prediction is as meaningless as comparing
the cost of green energy to a scoop of ice cream.

Green energy will be expensive, it will not be green, but we will employ it
anyway, because we will gradually run out of alternatives, and yes we need
energy, lots of it.

Regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, can you find anything
in the previous sentence which you would dispute?