[ExI] How Electricity Became a Luxury Good

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 9 15:00:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 03:28:49PM +0100, BillK wrote:

> Some devices, like TVs, still draw current while switched off, and
> these need to be switched off at the mains plug. The current used is
> small, but as it was on all the time, the yearly total was quite
> expensive.

5 W 24/7/365 sets you back around 10 EUR/year.

> I am now down to running at about 60 watts consumption, for the

You could consider going insular PV DC route, battery-backed.

> laptop, modem, wifi and electric clock. Winter will be much more, of
> course!

There is no point wasting a high-quality energy source to produce
low-quality (heat). At the very least, use electricity to drive
a heat pump, using ground or water thermal differential to air.

I heat with locally sourced, air-dried seasoned hardwood, but
that's not an option for everybody -- I did already mention the
thing about selfishness, and making an exit, I believe.