[ExI] Eternity in six hours: intergalactic spreading of intelligent life and sharpening the Fermi paradox

Andrew Mckee andymck35 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 08:38:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:11:55 +1200, Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking, recycle all around what
> exactly?
>
> Nearby stars, nearby galaxies, nearby gas clouds ...

>> but who on earth can know what goes on in the minds of alien
> civilizations?
>
> You can. You are saying they just stay put.

Ummm, not really. In fact I'm pretty sure I made no mention regarding
anyone traveling around or not.

I was trying to suggest that there may be classes of Dyson spheres that
are not detectable to us because the inhabitants are so technologically
advanced they have discovered the technical means to recycle or translate
what we would consider low grade- low utility emissions back into some
form of useful energy.

Yes I know what I'm suggesting is scientific heresy, and I should be burnt
on a thermodynamically correct bonfire.

But I'm just sayin, that we the human race, haven't been practicing
science and engineering for very long even by human standards. Maybe the
universe is full of highly advanced alien civilizations that have been
refining their scientific understanding for millions of years and they
know things that we currently do not.

That seems like a fair assumption to me, given that we have been after all
discussing some of the universe's puzzles for which we have no really
conclusive answers.

And if Eugen doesn't like my suggestion, well tough, I'm pretty sure what
I'm suggesting is already on the 101 solutions to the Fermi paradox list
already anyway, and there's nothing he can say to have it taken off.  Nah,
Nah Nah Nah, Nah! ;-)