[ExI] Global cooling: Arctic ice caps grows by 60% against global warming predictions | Mail Online

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:23:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:43:56AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:26 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> >
> > > To me, global warming is too much like worrying about a rising fever
> while
> > > the house is on fire.
> > >

> > I've never heard it said better Spike. I would have to note that the cure
> > for the rising fever as prescribed by the local alternative holistic
> healer
> > will cost more than ten houses.
>
> You're still not getting it.

I thought you were taking a break.

> There is no cure.

That's why I said "local alternative holistic healer".

> Desperate people
> will burn everything they can.

Obviously. I've seen deforested Haiti from the air.

> The falling EROEI *accelerates*
> the use of tight resources, because the net energy is falling
> per unit of effort, so you have to increase the effort, as
> long as the financials and thermodynamics allow it. Only
> then you stop. (Unless population drops very suddenly,
> which is an even worse outcome).

I'm not interested in doom and gloom. I'm interested in solutions. Your
solution matrix seems to rule out most of the most practical energy
sources. I'm for solar, but it only has limited practical applications at
present.

> The course of global warming is graven in stone. Not a damn
> thing can be done about it at this point, especially now that
> we have multiple feedback mechanisms kicking in.

Then let's please stop talking about it.

> People should not spend synapseseconds on preventing the
> CO2 release, but how to mitigate the impact of increased
> CO2, which is not just about climate.

I like building buildings out of CO2. Stuff like this:
http://bit.ly/15SAPjg
Seems like a reasonably good idea in principle, even if this particular
solution has problems to be worked out. Concrete is a large contributor to
atmospheric CO2, I'm sure you knew that.

-Kelly