[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 21:26:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> If you sample spatial variation in a mature postecosystem from
> a given point of origin versus one with a different point of
> origin. The variability should not differ. Mature systems
> lose founder effect information over time. The only information
> about the point of origin might exist in personal memories
> of very long-lived species.

### Absolutely. Which is why I am really excited about us being
possibly extremely close to a point-of-origin, a trivial
spatiotemporal distance bridgeable with cryonics and a stable
currency.

Today I saw a former girlfriend, the woman I loved passionately some
decades ago. The sunlight of her smile warmed my cold heart a bit. She
thought she would not choose suspension even if she could afford it.
It saddened me, yet, with a bit of luck, an echo of her being could be
remembered for a long time. Poetic, no?

> I'm arguing that due to radiation the bulk of the postecosystem
> will be nonsentient, despite of founders having been. There is
> e.g. a strong selection pressure for pioneer organisms to lose
> sentience. As such they have behaviour, but no ethics to
> constrain it.

### Yes. Are you familiar with any books by Karl Schroeder? He
describes many variations of this scenario, set in various
post-expansion locales.

Rafal