[ExI] FW: How Electricity Became a Luxury Good

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 12 13:21:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 05:39:11PM -0400, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> And just like you, I don't believe in the doom of mankind, definitely

As a species, humankind if very difficult to kill.

But as a technological species with sufficient population
to avoid regression to some unknown halting point our
future is far from being clear.

> not from lack of energy. The only real danger for Human 1.0 is Human
> 2.0, and this does not fill me with dread.

How you ever noticed how far the regression in capabilities
goes in failing states? E.g. consider 7 nm node on Intel's
roadmap. What is the supply chain for that, what is the
market so that you ROI, and where do you get the investments?
Consider access to space, consider supercomputing, consider
nanotechnology. None of the failed and failing states engage
in any of that to any relevant degree.

What are you going to do if your patients can't afford you?
If you cut back, can you continue providing your patients
with levels of care you're comfortable with? If the revenue
stream drops that you're bankrupt, and you can't find work
in your area of work, nor any other area, for that matter?

These will appear as outlandish scenarios for most people
on this list, but they're a daily reality to many.