[ExI] Eternity in six hours: intergalactic spreading of intelligent life and sharpening the Fermi paradox

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 23:17:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 09:38:08PM +1200, Andrew Mckee wrote:
>
> > I'm sure you're right, so far as we know.
>
> It's not just a good idea, it's the law. In fact,
> thermodynamics is based on information, and all the deep
> theories are trending to information-based descriptions
> of reality.

It seems unlikely to me that the Second Law of Thermodynamics is escapable
over the long term. So I tend to agree with Eugen here. (It is not a
mathematical impossibility that I agree with Eugen).

I do think we have far more evidence (though perhaps not a huge amount) for
a growing tumor somewhere in Eugen's brain than we do for extra terrestrial
intelligence, or even extra terrestrial life.

-Kelly