[ExI] Why Global Warming Will Be Far Worse, Far Sooner, Than Forecasts Predict

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 21:00:40 UTC 2013

David Brin, in his blog, points to an article showing that the IPCC
(already hated by the global warming deniers) has a history of being
far, far too conservative in their warming forecasts,

<http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/09/03-0>

Quote:
The IPCC process virtually assures that all the research used in the
report will be several years old.  Since it only uses peer reviewed
work and a consensus process, it has a long lead-time and a least
common denominator data set.
But that’s only part of the reason the IPCC reports have been
out-of-date-on-date-of–issue: for the most part, they still ignore the
effects of positive feedbacks on warming.

In short, empirical evidence suggests today’s worst-case scenarios are
tomorrow’s most-likely outcomes.  The same is true when we do ex-ante
analysis of modeling done in the early stages of climate research.
Today’s reality goes well beyond even the most dire past predictions.
Bottom line: The future we’re fashioning is completely incompatible
with the civilization we’ve built, and the IPCC slow-walks,
understates and outright ignores much of the science that screams at
us to do something about it.