[ExI] yet another ethical dilemma

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Sep 13 20:55:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, spike wrote:

> [...]

I arrive late to the party, with all consequences, heh (my advice is going
to miss your actions, most probably). I subscribe to too many lists, maybe
I should trim it a little, later.

Anyway, what a story. Some real meat from real life. I didn't enjoyed it
but I appreciate it a lot. One missing piece of it are dates of death of
victim family/neighbours - perhaps could be retrieved from local parish?
This would tell more about the circumstances of ancestor's beginning. I
mean, date comparison. Because right now you have some pieces and
realistic expectation for matching picture is what you described above.
However, I'd still try to find some more pieces if possible. Maybe there
is more to the story? And if not, then there would be more evidence for
realistic one.

As of telling her - short version is "probably, yes". But it should be
told in personal talk, I guess.

Long version - it's probably not a secret I am not the biggest humanity
fan on the planet. We have some great moments, which are dissolved and
averaged in a sea of self delusions, ordinary lies and hypocrisy (and
statistics). Notice how I use the word "we" - just in case someone thinks
I am some kind of wannabe politician [1]. So the truth is much welcomed
and rarely given (oh, but this is even longer story about how bipedals are
brought up and programmed and taught to like the sweeteners - and I don't
think I will be ready to give anything meaningful anytime soon about
this). The truth is not supposed to be nice, it is only supposed to refer
facts as they have been found. And people should be able to face the
facts, which is optimistic version.

If the sums of pros and cons feel about the same, tell her. Do not tell
her if you think the cons weight much more. Despite what I think about
truth, I accept idea of no strict binary rules and so there are situations
when truth is better buried down for ever. The truth is good but it is not
the whole and only good. This is up to you. Write pros and cons on a sheet
of paper, carry it with you for some days, then when you decide, tear the
sheet *and* burn it. You could also try some kind of non-decision, like
writing the story and sending her a sealed envelope with "only for the
brave and curious" or something on it. Well, this third choice is not my
ideal at all.

[1] There are days, when I am quite happy we are not going to spread among
the stars and bring our lies with us. Talk about darkening! The mass of
printed BS would do the job excellently. So not darkening of the stars is
extremely positive finding for me. Way to go, species, whoever you are. So
if I ever became a politician, I'd do my best to unpromote space
exploration beyound Solar System. Observation yes, flights no,
signaling... rather not. Well, what could we show to aliens - pyramids?
How many people paid for building them? How many profited? Yet we build
them all the time. Yes, I know, offtopic. And besides, politicians lie so
I would find a reason to not keep the promise. And then rationalize it in
my memoirs.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola