[ExI] (The Independent 2013-08) Plumpy'Nut: The lifesaver that costs... well, peanuts

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 13:12:42 UTC 2013

Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the problem here is with considering this doing X will cause a person to
> die view.

That's over-generalising what I was saying.  It's not "doing X", it's a specific kind of action, where there is something with the direct purpose or effect of saving lives, that is deliberately prevented from being made available as widely as it could, because that wouldn't be as profitable for someone.  Maybe, in some convoluted way, I could save a life if I lived in a ditch, but that's a quite different thing to holding a patent on a life-saving drug, and using it to actively prevent an organisation in India from manufacturing and deploying a version of that drug because I wouldn't profit from it.

Ben Zaiboc