[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 23 08:07:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 01:27:30AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> OOh... Ouch. How much energy does one of these emails expend anyway?

It depends. 4G is pretty terrible at energy efficiency. On the other hand,
lighting up a fiber costs very little. Modern routers can operate on
embedded-like memory footprints, while core routers are dire beasts.
The Internet could use a large helping of decentralism. If you're
building rural communities, make sure you invest into fiber ducts
or at least wireless meshes. Having a broadband connection is not
just about circuses, it allows you to remain a part of global
community, and share solutions.

> > You can't.  We can.  And when the world has failed to collapse, some of us
> >> will be there continuing to make sure it doesn't, rather than waste our
> >> time with disasterbation.

No idea who wrote that, but WHY DO YOU THINK I BOTHER WRITING THIS CRAP?
Desasterbation, my hairy arse. You nattering nabobs of positivity have
gotten us into this shithole in the first place, remember? So shut your
trap and eat that pie. It tastes terrible, but you've made it yourself.
Eat it up. Eat it all up until you barf.