[ExI] Nattering nabobs

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 09:32:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> No idea who wrote that, but WHY DO YOU THINK I BOTHER WRITING THIS CRAP?
> Desasterbation, my hairy arse. You nattering nabobs of positivity have
> gotten us into this shithole in the first place, remember? So shut your
> trap and eat that pie. It tastes terrible, but you've made it yourself.
> Eat it up. Eat it all up until you barf.

I think it is more correct to claim that it was the consumer society
that got us into this shithole.
The drive to consume more and more every year as a status symbol and
linking nations GDP and progress to the idea of greater consumption is
what got us into our present dire straits.
The nattering nabobs are only saying 'Carry on as normal, don't worry'
and resisting the need for change until it is forced upon them. By
which time it will be too late to avoid much nastiness.

The striking phrase "nattering nabobs of negativism" was written by
speechwriter William Safire for Republican Vice president Spiro Agnew
in 1970.
The phrase was aimed at the 'liberal' media who opposed the Vietnam
war. This began the Republican policy of framing opponents as
anti-American and unpatriotic. And it was successful in greatly
weakening media critics, who now had to appear defensive and claim
they were not 'unpatriotic'.

BillK