[ExI] [New_Cryonet] Dead immortalists in 1978 Omni magazine article

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:54:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
>> At least people can go into cryopreservation, despite all the
>> difficulties and uncertainties involved. Cryonics has a better track record
>> so far than predictions that you'll have radical life extension served to
>> you in a pill(!) just by surviving to some arbitrary year.
>>

> I'm curious how you measure a "track record" when the race hasn't really
> even started.
> (I'd suggest it's more like the milling-about around the starting line
> before the event)

Predictions of personal immortality have been around for millennia - and
they were just as certain as we are now.  (Granted, we know some of what
they were doing wrong.)  The event for the human race in general started
long ago; we've only recently shown up.  For each of us personally, the
event started the moment we were born, and continues as long as we maintain
it - in whatever form.  Cryonics, at least, merely suspends the personal
event rather than provably permanently ending it (to the degree that such
is provable in this reality, ignoring immeasurable souls and the like).