[ExI] roboburgers to go

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 02:46:41 UTC 2013

> Question please, what does a father teach a son today, assuming access to the collective  wisdom of years represented by this group?
>
> Anders, Kelly, Eugen, Keith, anyone else especially fathers, what do we do now, coach?

Was thinking about this very topic recently and have no idea.
Virtually everything I know, particularly mechanical skills, is
obsolete. Who needs to rebuild a carburetor? Set the points in a
distributor? Replace the vertical amplifier in a TV with magnetic
deflection?

It's almost as bad as chipping rocks to get a sharp edge (which I can also do).

Long list of skills that are utterly out of date.

When I was about 7 I remember watching my father rebuild a fuel pump
for a late 1949s vintage car.  Those skills were useful, though I
don't think I ever rebuilt a fuel pump myself. I am hard pressed to
think of a skill I could pass on to someone of that age.

Sorry.

Keith