[ExI] Basic Income - Basic Housing?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:27:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM, spike  wrote:
> BillK, it is done that way now: section 8 housing.  It does postpone the
> problem.
>
> The solution as described in the link is one that has failed spectacularly
> in places like Detroit Michigan: the housing projects get too dangerous.
> You can go to some parts of Detroit today and have any house you want:
> plenty of them are abandoned.  But the area itself is too dangerous for
> human habitation.
>
> There are no mindbogglingly simple solutions to homelessness.  There are
> some simple failed solutions however, and I predict they will be used again.

After searching, there seem to be a lot of Housing Projects going on.
Some failing, some reasonably successful.

The Moore Place project has differences. It is single person
accomodation for people who have been homeless for over a year (and
usually have medical or disability problems). And it is Supportive
Housing with on-site medical and social worker staff to help the
residents. The residents are not left to fend for themselves, Because
it is for single people, at a stroke that gets rid of all the family
problems like domestic violence or child abuse. And the resident staff
provide a protective environment.

This seems to be rather different to handing out rent vouchers for
people to give to cheap slum landlords in deprived, crime-ridden
areas.

Supportive Housing is more expensive, but the external cost savings
pay for it, by reduced Medicare bills, police & jail costs, etc.).

The full report is here:
<http://shnny.org/images/uploads/Charlotte-Moore-Place-Study.pdf>

BillK