[ExI] BICEP2 and the Fermi paradox

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Tue Apr 8 21:46:04 UTC 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 12:21 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> The notion of eternal suffering of an immortal being was invented centuries after the last word of the NT was written.

I'm working on an Urban Fantasy / Military Fantasy series in which I decided to take as my working premise that:

(a) New souls are born on Earth (i.e. these souls are not eternal, but finite at least at one terminal, the "beginning" of life
(b) Souls are either immortal or so extremely long lived after that as to be indistinguishable from immortal
(c ) There are other realms/dimensions to which these immortal souls travel after the physical shell ceases functioning
(d)  Moral behavior determines the destination
(e ) Souls who have already traveled to other destinations can continue to watch and interact with humans on earth, therefore travel between these realms is possible, if difficult

Perfectly standard mythology based on the tenants of some well known religions. But I found that when I actually took this literally and thought about it for a while, some things jumped out at me:

(a )  Any human ever born is still alive as a soul somewhere, but they are not all the same age; some mere decades old, some are thousands of years old, some are tens of thousands
(b ) Even the longest lived human on this earth (about 100 years old) is a mere infant compared to how old souls can become and many souls already are
(c )  To expect infants to live the rest of their immortal lives because of decisions made in ignorance of what comes after life on earth is silly
(d ) There's no logical reason that souls who have already left earth for other dimensions shouldn't continue to make moral choices and change their behavior and travel to a destination

Logically, no one should make up their minds about what the afterlife holds before living and learning at least a 1000 years…   :)

Tara Maya
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Amazon  |  Goodreads