[ExI] Death follows European contact

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 07:07:50 UTC 2014

Uncontacted Tribes Die Instantly After We Meet Them
Written by  Jason Koebler   April 5, 2014

It's a story we all know--Christopher Columbus discovers America, his
European buddies follow him, they meet the indigenous people living
there, they indigenous people die from smallpox and guns and other
unknown diseases, and the Europeans get gold, land, and so on.

<http://motherboard.vice.com/read/uncontacted-tribes-die-instantly-after-we-meet-them>

It's still happening today in Brazil, where 238 indigenous tribes have
been contacted in the last several decades, and where between 23 and
70 uncontacted tribes are still living. A just-published report that
takes a look at what happens after the modern world comes into contact
with indigenous peoples isn't pretty: Of those contacted, three
quarters went extinct. Those that survived saw mortality rates up over
80 percent. This is grim stuff.

"Our analysis dramatically quantifies the devastating effects of
European colonization on indigenous Amazonians. Not only did ~75
percent of indigenous societies in the Brazilian Amazon become
extinct, but of the survivors, all show evidence of catastrophic
population declines, the vast majority with mortality rates over 80
percent," writes Marcus Hamilton of the University of New Mexico in a
paper published in Nature Scientific Reports.

Those numbers shouldn't be surprising--like I said, this isn't much
different from what has happened time and time again to the Native
Americans, to the Incas, to the Mayans, and to hundreds of other small
tribes throughout North and South America.

I would add Easter Island to the list.
The destruction isn't due to these tribes destroying themselves and
their environment.

BillK