[ExI] BICEP2 and the Fermi paradox

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:28:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> I think the information density of space is a pretty deep question. It is
> the counterpart to the entropy of spacetime and fields issue: our matter
> fields can have a fair bit of entropy, but spacetime seems to have started
> in a low entropy state, which allows it to drive lots of
> complexity-creating processes as matter clumps. However, spacetime
> expansion likely does not correspond to an information storage increase: it
> just adds more low-entropy flatness. Maybe it is more like a dropbox or
> gmail account, where available storage space is going up all the time
> whether you use it or not.

The way I understand the holographic universe, there's a 2d description of
the information contained inside the 3d volume bounded by a sphere.  If
there is more information generated by any of the subspace, wouldn't the
sphere necessarily increase in surface area to accommodate the increased
complexity in the description of the bounded space?  the boundary is large
to describe multidimensional subspaces - and that causes regions of
"low-entry flatness" to compensate.  The more complex and ordered the
simulations (of any level) the larger the surface and therefore the more
emptiness around the information-dense core.  Does that remind anyone else
of a description of an atom?

it would be nice to have some visualization software to share these ideas