[ExI] language

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 19:42:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> This leads directly to politicians, who make a living out of manipulating
> opinion.  (Not being able to lie just makes it harder.)

I think you will find it a bit tricky to define 'lie'.

Truth is often a matter of opinion, especially in social contexts, as
opposed to scientific laws (which are also subject to being
redefined). That's why spin works so well.

In social context we constantly use 'white lies' to avoid giving
unnecessary offence. The claim is that future people cannot lie, but
nobody likes to face their 'real' image. 'Does my bum look fat in this
dress?'. I doubt that people will ever stop trying to project a better
than real image to others around them.
To lie is to be human.

BillK