[ExI] scifi search

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 12:16:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 5:05 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> The main problem is the continual creeping loss of freedoms. More and
> more cases where you have to get permission, certificates, passes...
> from officials. Behaviour becomes more and more restricted until the
> pressure cooker blows.

I agree on the main problem.  I don't think the pressure cooker will
blow (at least not soon).  I feel like pressure is released under
controlled outbursts.  The militarized police state is more effective
when there is a high degree of fear in the population.  The takeaway
is that it doesn't matter if good people are caught in a bad
situation... so do your best to be nowhere near whatever is happening.

Is this view negative because we're pessimists or because reality is
kind of depressing?  Has it gotten worse over 30 years or are we just
more worn-down by it?