[ExI] Carbides (Was: hacked email)

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 1 15:19:10 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
…

>…I briefly looked at jewels, and found silicon carbide (moissanite) to be intriguing. Again, way cheaper than diamond, almost as hard, and with great optical properties.

Carbides are generally quite awesome…  Anders Sandberg…

Who woulda thunk.  We have this periodic table with over a 100 elements on it.  Most of them are really boring.  We have five of them will not react at all, and really most of the rest will do some things but one element, just one very special element does so many things and does them so well.  It forms super hard materials, combined with iron it makes steel, it gets together in ways that trap energy, moves around, swapping in and out other elements.  In a most wonderful manner, it becomes self-aware: my carbon knows about itself.