[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 23:36:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
> Medical ethics at its simplest typically runs the issue past the Beauchamp
> principles:
> http://www.ukcen.net/index.php/ethical_issues/ethical_frameworks/the_four_principles_of_biomedical_ethics
>
> Does the treatment respect the autonomy of the patient? (this is where
> informed consent comes in, as well as the right to withdraw for any reason)
> Does the treatment in expectation help the patient more than it causes risk?
> (This is where things are tricky with experimental drugs.)
> Does the treatment have some risks of harm that are unacceptable? Can they
> be reduced? (the thyroid thing seems to be related to this)
> Does the treatment cause injustice? (This is why I think reporting is
> important: it spreads the benefit of the experiment even if it doesn't work
> out. And this is also why super-expensive treatments might be problematic. )
>
> I think this situation right now is fine, but you will get into autonomy
> trouble if the AD gets worse. At what point should others override the
> impaired autonomy of the patient? This is where advance directives are
> *really* good.

Things like informed consent, help and injustice get really tricky
when the patient is faced with a terminal disease like Alzheimers.
They know the certain outcome. They know there is no cure. They are
looking into a black hole looming ever closer. They would agree to
*anything* that someone suggested might help, even if there were
terrible side-effects. They don't really have much choice left, and
soon they won't be able to choose.

I would say that you have to be very sure that your recommendation
isn't going to make the time they have left worse for everyone
concerned. Providing false hope could be torture for the patient and
their family.

BillK