[ExI] cheerful thought

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 14 02:34:34 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Van Sickle
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2014 6:05 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] cheerful thought

Have you no shame, sir!

Hey pal, I warned you, gave you pleeenty of warning.  I wrote:

(Brace yourself, you know it is coming.  Save yourself, stop reading, flee!)

Did you do it?  NO!

Don’t blame me, I was born this way, honest.  Loving math just made it worse.  A lot worse.

spike

When Descarte came up with the term “imaginary” for the i axis, I wonder if he realized what potential it creates for geek wordplay?

I have heard that he had a horse which understood mathematics, and was a most attentive audience whenever he introduced a new concept.  But not in this case, for when the mathematician tried to explain the concept to the beast, it objected with an emphatic NAY!

(Brace yourself, you know it is coming.  Save yourself, stop reading, flee!)

The problem was he put Descarte before the horse.