[ExI] Skylon- a plane that can fly anywhere in under four hours!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:28:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM, spike wrote:
> John I am not going to get too excited by this until I see that they can
> make that precooler perform the way they say it will.  I did the numbers on
> this a few years ago and they suggested that this precooler would need to be
> higher performing than any heat exchanger we have.  If the Brits get it to
> work, then I will offer a Jolly good show, chaps, jolly good.

I would love this to actually work and be built, but I an dubious at present.

There seems to be lots of PR, videos, plans and discussion, but very
little happening in the real world.
Even their optimistic plan won't have an engine built before 2018,
with first flight after 2020.
That assumes everything works, tests go OK and no funding problems.
A lot could go wrong before 2020.

BillK