[ExI] quiet growth

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 19 21:59:09 UTC 2014

spike <spike66 at att.net> , 19/12/2014 7:20 AM:

All those home-repair videos came about in the last ten to fifteen years is quiet growth of wealth; nothing spectacular or splashy, but the cumulative effect is high.

Yes! People totally underestimate the value inherent in Wikipedia, that can be glanced at the Mayo clinic info pages, the numerous threads about a software problem. We are sharing human capital in better and better ways.

Quiet knowledge growth is powerful just like the Flynn effect, like the spread of cellphones, like literacy.

 With respect to transhumanism, I must think that accumulated knowledge of programming in the general population is a form of quiet growth towards Transhumanist goals.

There is that, but also the increased ability to share good solutions and recipes. I don't have to be a statistics geek to use a good routine in R, nor (on a slightly darker turn) a hacker to use a rootkit. We crystalize and outsource skills, making them cheaply available to everybody.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University