[ExI] Skylon- a plane that can fly anywhere in under four hours!

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:30:04 UTC 2014

[Snip]
> So maybe the real limiting factor is how well the cooler can survive
actual usage (and the occasional bird in the intake). I have the impression
that this is finicky technology, despite the good people behind it.

This magic (in the sufficiently advanced sense of the term ) heat exchanger
has been worked on for the last 20 years or more.

The available numbers have very favorably impressed everyone I've shown
them to in the aviation community. I'd like to know more about
non-aerospace applications for such a thing, but I've seen no speculation
along those lines.

> But it would be awesome to get to space using UK technology, just for the
sheer unlikeliness of it (for those who don't know, the UK always looks a
bit shoddy since the place industrialized first and got stuck with an
infrastructure generations behind).?

Hear hear! Score another point for Mother England--so long as we don't have
eat British food off-Earth.

Finally, AvLeak had a press release, ahem, cover article in the last twelve
months on a vaguely described Lockheed-Martin project or aircraft with very
similar performance claims. FWIW.