[ExI] far future

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 3 02:28:40 UTC 2014

>… On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> , 2/2/2014 2:15 AM:

 It does question whether having a world filled with nothing but geniuses is dull.

I think we can apply Nick Bostrom's reversal test to this: would a world with no geniuses be less dull? The answer is pretty clearly no…Maybe the lack of difference is the issue, but I don't think so. Compare the discussions, games or parties you get from a very smart crowd versus a dull crowd…social skill is not strongly correlated with intelligence… Bad conversationalists are interesting only in the right (narrow) circumstances and cannot adapt.  Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University…

Excellent observations, Anders.  I went to a dinner party last night hosted by Robin Hanson.  It was the most fun a person could have with their clothes on.  I loooove Robin’s friends!  A great time was had by all.  The party lasted over three hours, and even then, only broke up because Robin and his bride had an engagement the next day.

I have heard it said that intelligence correlates negatively with social skills, but I would dispute that notion.  It might be a factor of how one defines social skills.  When brights get with their own, the range and depth of conversation is astonishing.

It is possible that the Mensa crowd actually has more total areas of interest and expertise, but fewer that intersect with more mainstream people.  So from the point of view of the mainstreamer, the Mensan is dull and disengaged.

For instance, last night at Robin’s party, I sat next to a young mathematician.  I showed him the Mrs. Claus problem.  If one has zero tools for solving the Mrs. Claus problem, one is unlikely to take any interest in it.  This case remains a singular example of a case where I was able to do the calculus, but the algebra reduced me to the shameful numerical solution.  Oh the mortifying indignity, the disgraceful humiliation!  The young mathematician and I had a most animated discussion.  Such fun!

On the other hand, I couldn’t tell you who was playing in today’s annual football championship bowl.  Perhaps I am dull and disengaged in mainstream stuff.