[ExI] BBC Easter Island documentary

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Thu Feb 13 12:48:50 UTC 2014

Interesting video. But after watching it, I proceeded to re-read the
chapter about Easter Island on Diamond's "Collapse" book, written in 2005.
It describes everything shown in the video, and many more details, in the
end supporting the traditional view of overpopulation and environmental
collapse. The video goes to great lenghts to refute the accuse of
cannibalism, which is horrorific to us but no big deal for other
populations, and is in the end just a side note on the whole story. The
only thing displayed even more prominently is the narcissism of the
protagonist... he's omnipresent in the shoots.

A few things are in direct conflict - for example, the gentle lowering of
the statues claimed in the video, compared to the intentional breaking of
them by toppling them over stone slabs as claimed in the book, and it
shouldn't be too difficult to decide who is closer to the truth - if only
one had the time, will, and maybe was longing for an exotic vacantion :-)

Alfio