[ExI] The meaning of life (in transhumanism)

Robin D Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Tue Feb 18 12:41:24 UTC 2014

I understand "the meaning of my life" as story of my life framed in terms of ideals.
A life story where ideals are embodied and achieved is more meaningful.
Since there are many ideals, there can be many life meanings.

For me that meaning is "to find and tell key facts". That requires a fair bit of smarts,
effort, and toughness, which can be promoted by culture and institutions.
So better culture and institutions will help, and I look forward to a future that has them.
But it doesn't really require much direct enhancement of individuals, other than via
the usual cultural plasticity by which humans have been enhancing themselves for
many millennia.