[ExI] The meaning of life (in transhumanism)

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 19:15:40 UTC 2014

(Anders) I tend to regard being able to question and (in principle) change
one's behaviour as a sign of mental health (and ethical thinking). Most
people who are mentally ill are stuck with a certain way of thinking and
acting, even when it is painful, harmful or against what they wish. By
analogy, never questioning one's life is a form of mental condition - not
quite an illness, but a lack of flexibility and potential for growth. Most
of us of course never rebel against most expectations even if we consider
whether to obey them or not: many make sense on one level or another. But
being aware that one could do differently is tremendously liberating.

(bill)  Now you have raised several questions:  when should we nonconform,
who should nonconform, what should we do about nonconformers, and what does
this have to do with creativity (besides everything)?

I assume the scientific method, verifiablity/falsifiability, is not a
candidate for nonconformity.  Innovators' very duty is to nonconform.  I
was 'born' a skeptic, a contrarian, a free thinker and probably most
everyone on this list is too.

Re mentally ill:  actually I think it's the other way around, at least for
neurotics.  They constantly question themselves and everything they do, and
dither and fret but without rational result, or at least one that gets
translated into behavior.  They are indeed inflexible. So, examination of
self and one's alternatives can be overdone.