[ExI] Perihelion day

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 4 23:07:23 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:35 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Perihelion day

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:

Happy perihelion! Today the sun is closest, it will get further away every
day until July!

>>.And give thanks, if you life in the northern hemisphere, that this is
partially compensating for the axial tilt. Things will get worse in a few
kiloyears.

>.Ooohh, you sadist!  :)  The US & Canada have 2 ft of snow and below zero
temperatures and you tell them to give thanks!  Nice one!   :)  BillK

I will do the giving of thanks.  On the US west coast it is a gorgeous day,
approximately room temperature, sunny skies, light pleasant breeze, etc.  It
has been a warm dry fall, confusing the trees.  I see blossoms everywhere.
Some of the early bird trees started leafing out before the solstice.  Bugs
are getting active already.  I  am hoping for a good insect-observation
year.  Life is good!

Speaking of giving thanks, we know that whole notion is all tangled up in
religion, but we atheists should work a little harder at that.  Think it
over, or if it helps, think of Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney singing
Count Your Blessings in the holiday classic White Christmas.  There you go:
no religion at all anywhere in that movie, not a trace.  But Bing sounds so
good in that, and Rose is sooooo sexy I melt into a gooey sticky puddle on
the floor just thinking of being on the receiving end of the adoring looks
she is giving Crosby in that scene:

Bob bob at difranza.com

Oops, that was in my copy queue for Dr. Lajeunesse's get-well wishes.

Here's the link to Clooney and Crosby.  Rose's gorgeous voice starts at
about 2:10 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKxazgio2s

Ooooh I am so in love with that woman.

So don't be afraid to count your blessings instead of sheep, those of you
who are alive.  Atheists can be grateful to chance.  If all your problems
are ones you can handle, be thankful.  Part of having it made is knowing we
have it made.  Gratitude is a powerful positive emotion.  Don't miss out on
that just because religion incorporated claims it at every opportunity.