[ExI] Martin Gardner

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 01:29:05 UTC 2014

My Dad subscribed to SciAm so I started reading it before I hit my teens.
Gardner's column was my favorite part. Oh, and you're right about The
Amateur Scientist section, Rex. I bought a hard-cover collection of that
column at a used book store a few years ago. I was surprised to find
instructions for building a synchrotron. The caution about
the--ahem--possible danger of exposure to errant x-rays was totally
insufficient in prominence and emphasis, based on today's standards for
technical manuals.

Back to the review of Gardner's most recent book. To understand Teller's
"uneasiness" in the final paragraph of the NYT book review regarding
Gardner's belief in God, read Gardner's book "The Whys of a Philosophical
Scrivener" where he also explains why he believes in prayer and in an
afterlife. That's the smallest part of the book, by the way, so don't be
put off. Gardner is always an intelligent and information-packed guide to
whatever topic he chooses to write about, and he writes about a lot. Check
out the table of contents for the ebook at the link below. The man *always*
did his homework. Which characteristic is also displayed in his sole novel
"The Flight of Peter Fromm", the story of a young religious fundamentalist
who loses his religion after studying at a top school of theology. In the
course of the novel, Gardner provides excellent thumbnail summaries of
every major modern Christian theologian, summarizing their arguments, and
showing why said arguments ultimately fail. Plus, the book is chock-full of
Gardner's sparkling--often biting--wit.

http://www.amazon.com/Whys-Philosophical-Scrivener-Martin-Gardner-ebook/dp/B008KP33BU/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389057357&sr=1-8&keywords=martin+gardner