[ExI] The second step towards immortality

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jan 11 23:10:43 UTC 2014

On 11/01/2014 12:01, Ben wrote:
> [*]  This is an interesting topic in itself:  When does a theoretical
> possibility become invalid because it's not actually a real
> possibility?

Ah, you have stumbled upon something philosophers discuss and disagree
about:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thought-experiment/#SysExp

I think the key link is that the world of the thought experiment must
overlap enough with our real world (in the relevant aspects) that it
allows us to generalize from the result of the thought experiment to
other, non-thoughtexperimented aspects of the world.

For example, we can make some thought experiments about worlds where
humans are very different kinds of creatures (like Parfit's
amoeba-people): many conclusions about personal identity from these
experiments do not seem to carry over to our world since human personal
identity is fairly strongly linked with us being non-dividing. But a
thought experiment about how technological development would look on a
much larger and populous Earth (Bostrom's super-Earth) does seem to map
rather nicely to the real world: labour pool does have an effect on
research, while the radius of the planet is irrelevant.

Ned Block's GLUT argument overlaps rather strongly with our world in the
relevant parts: when thinking about whether machines could have
consciousness or intelligence the relevant aspect is not whether there
is some computational trick that can hide vast amounts of memory inside
a realizable box or not, but whether the mechanism of looking up
been living in a universe that looked like ours but had those extra
computational resources (just like my trapdoored addition function is
just like normal addition, with one exception).

Real world --------  Part of the real world ---------- Real world
                      Real things: A, B, C
                        A     A     A          Inferred: D,E,F,G,H
              Mapping   |     |     |
                        V     V     V
                      Thought experiment
                      Imagined things: a, b, c
                      Concluded pattern: d, e, f

Of course, there are many shades of possible worlds too:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/possible-worlds/

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute