[ExI] face recognition app: phony people people

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 01:46:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> This technology changes everything.

I've seen this coming for decades. The only thing that changes is that it
has gone from pure vaporware to vaporware that someone hopes to soon
develop into real software. I don't think it changes much at all.

> Reasoning: from what I have seen, face recognition isn’t great, but it is
> good.

It's probably better than Dragon Naturally Speaking, and that's useful. But
it will continue to get better as they push more of the processing into the
cloud.

> You could have a database carried on your person with a few thousand
> people, including some you haven’t met but only have a dozen or so
> pictures, such as from a high school yearbook, a newspaper article, various
> sources, which can reliably identify a person.

Facebook is a pretty good place to pick up pictures. I went to an interview
today, and I already knew a little about each person that would be
interviewing me. It wasn't hard to find out a little.

> Then that person can be linked to notes, so that if you see someone you
> met for the first time at your  high school reunion, then see her again
> later in another context, you can have this device remind you of where you
> met the person and what you discussed.

I would absolutely do this. My memory for faces and names is so poor that
it would be a great help to me. I would probably test the bottom quartile
for name remembering prowess, and this would make that less of a
disability. In fact, I think I shall petition to be able to wear Google
Glass under the Americans with Disabilities Act on the basis of my retarded
facial recognition and name recall abilities.

> http://singularityhub.com/2014/01/12/facial-recognition-app-for-glass-challenges-googles-ban-on-the-technology/
>

> If you are the first kid on the block to have this, especially if you can
> have it to where no one notices it, such as disguised as a broach or in a
> hat or inside a button or something, with a Bluetooth connection to a cell
> phone with Bluetooth to an earpiece, any yahoo can pretend to be a real
> people person.

Haven't you heard? Yahoo is downsizing. Any Googler can pretend though. You
still have to listen and say the right things, but you don't have to
REMEMBER so damn much. Technology is moving us constantly over the last 50
years to depend less on memory. I have dedicated my brain as much as
possible to being creative, and that does involve remembering facts, but
not facts about individual people so much. Just facts about types of
people, trees, historical trends and the like. I have not ever tried hard
to be a people person because I knew this sort of technology would
eventually make that an obsolete skill. I've gotten along, but this will
make me better.

> I don’t know that I would want to do that.  Hmmm, understatement, I do
> know that I do not want to do that.  But others might.  So I could build it
> and sell it to them, make a buttload of money.

I'll buy it.

> So henceforth, if we encounter a person who seems to remember everything
> about a chance encounter in the past, they may not be a warm fuzzy caring
> genius, they might be phony as a three dollar bill, just a regular guy
> using stealth face recognition tech, a hidden Bluetooth device in the ear,
> the cell phone in their pocket for memory and processing, pretending to be
> something they are not.  I won’t do it, for I am not really a people
> person; I am more of a machine person, hoping to someday become a machine
> machine.  But there are those who might pay money for something like this.

Do you think that someone using a calculator is a math whiz? This is the
same thing. It won't be seen as any great thing after it's been around a
year and has market penetration.

-Kelly