[ExI] face recognition app: phony people people

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 22:54:32 UTC 2014

Kelly wrote:
 >Do you think that someone using a calculator is a math whiz? This is the
 >same thing. It won't be seen as any great thing after it's been around a
 >year and has market penetration.  -Kelly

Yes, exactly.  I'd use this, and wouldn't try to hide it.  I'd be
up-front about the fact that I'm using technology to help me remember
people's names and information about them.  Being in a job that exposes
me to very many people each year that I will probably meet again months
or years later, I think it's entirely reasonable for me to take
advantage of something like this.  I'd go further than what Kelly says:
After it's been around a while, people you met 8 months ago will be
upset that you don't remember their names (and details of conversations
you had with them), and will wonder why you haven't bothered to use
technology to help you do that.  The "Oh, yes, I'm terrible with names
too!" conversation will be a thing of the past.

Spike wrote:
 >Those who use those devices will in a sense
 >be trying to fool us.  Someone you haven't seen in a long time who you
only
 >met once will come up, "Well, it's Kelly Anderson." and you will respond
 >LIE!

I don't think so, Spike.  You're assuming that the phenomenon of
remembering details about people will continue to have the same
emotional meaning it has now.  I don't think it will.  It will become
expected.  People won't go "Oh, you remembered that my kid is called
Tiffany, and she went on a holiday to Italy!  How nice!", they'll know
that that stuff is easy for people to recall, using technology, and
it'll be no big deal.

 >We won't like each other as much

We'll just measure how much we like each other in different ways, that's
all.

Ben Zaiboc