[ExI] common core educations standards, was: RE: far future

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:12:03 UTC 2014

Problems with Common Core, No Child Left Behind, and all the rest of the
fixes the education establishment gets into law:

Educators do poor research, and I speak as a person who has presented ed.
research at ed. conventions as well as psych. conventions.  Low standards
of research, too much jumping on a popular wagon, etc.

In many states, Louisiana, for example, children with Down's Syndrome
(trisomy 21 - average IQ = 25!) and other developmental disorders, are
actually in the classes with normal children and are expected to have the
same progress and teachers are punished when they don't perform.  This is
just nuts.  And legislators have bought into the idea of everyone
graduating from high school.  Even people with IQs of 70?  Just nuts.  Half
or more of the students should be in some kind of trade school beginning
9th or 10 grade.  They don't need American Literature or algebra or
advanced history classes.

How many people use algebra in their careers?  Very very few.  Are there
any people in science/technology with IQs below 100?  Very doubtful.  Why
try to educate those below 100 with stuff they can't understand or use?

Education (sociology is worse) believes in the "You can be anything you
want to be" myth.  Genetics, IQ, anything not totally environmental
is NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!!  That just has to change.

One system in effect (if they haven't changed it) is the Russia one, where
you have to pass tests to get into junior high school, then another for
high school, then college, then grad school.  Effect?  They waste very few
able students and don't waste time and money on those who can't cut it.
Extreme?  Subject to false positives and false negatives?  Of course - any
time you test and select you have those.

I have no ideas on how things should be taught, just what, when and to whom.

bill wallace