[ExI] What's Wrong With Academic Futurists?

paul michael zyttyz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 19:11:16 UTC 2014

Here are some names:

Paul Saffo
Malcom Gladwell (The Tipping Point)
Steven D. Levitt & Stephan J. Dubner (Freakonomics)
Wil McCarthy (Hacking Matter)

and the ever esteemed Damien Broderick

Linda

On Friday, January 24, 2014 10:08 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 4:00 AM,  Robin D Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> I'm talking about the kind of futurists mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_studies
> The kind that publish in the journals listed there. The Singularity Institute isn't part of that.

The list is a really mixed bag, and, among other things, it is missing
Eric Drexler.  I might fix that and include Charles Stross as well.
Who else should go on that list?

A list that includes Ray Kurzweill and the Club of Rome would be hard
to exceed in discordant views of the future.

I find it hard to take futurists seriously who are not on the bleeding
edge of technology, but even those can be blind to the obvious.

Or as Yogi Berra, said "It's tough to make predictions, especially
about the future."

Keith