[ExI] Arabs don't read

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Sat Jul 19 13:20:23 UTC 2014

Il 18/07/2014 22:46, Mark Walker ha scritto:
> Assuming your premise is true, that few books are translated into
> Arabic, it seems that at best you can conclude that Arabs don't read in
> Arabic. Consider:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/world/middleeast/11iht-educlede11.html?_r=0

Arabic has a big problem: it doesn't really exist.
 From what I read, the Arabic language talk in Algeria is very different
and practically not understandable from a Iraqi or Yemeni.

Arab press write in some for of "classic" Arabic language shared by the
elites. But I remember a blog from Iraq (during invasion and occupation)
where a girl lamented how difficult were her Arabic lessons and exams.
And surely she was a smart girl from a wealthy and learned family (and
the English was perfect).

I had read people comparing the "classical" Arabic with Latin. Not long
ago the large majority of the western world elites could understand each
other talking in Latin and scientific works were written in Latin.

Mirco