[ExI] internet privacy

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 15:14:16 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> The Germans and the Japanese found out that you could not decode a language
> - namely Navaho.
>
> So why try to encrypt net traffic so that people can't read it?  Any code
> can be broken by supercomputers, right?
>
> Then why not create a language and use that?  I know there's probably a very
> simple answer to this, but this nontechie doesn't know it.  Please forgive
> if this is a 'duh' question.

There were only very primitive code computers in WW2.

A supercomputer can decode a language easier than modern encrypted messages.

The other WW2 advantage was that the codetalkers were 'talkers'. It
wasn't a written language. Use was very restricted in the Europe WW2
because the Allies knew that the Germans were trying to learn Navaho.

See: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker>

BillK