[ExI] Slowly moving important questions into the mainstream [Was: new names]

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Mon Jul 21 13:21:19 UTC 2014

El 2014-05-31 01:05, Anders Sandberg escribió:

[...]

> This would have been amusing, except I actually encounter people who get
> terribly upset when I mention climate change is unlikely to be an
> existential risk. Just check out some of the reactions in the comments:
> https://theconversation.com/the-five-biggest-threats-to-human-existence-27053

[...]

(Just saw Anders' article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/21/five-biggest-threats-human-existence)

Was at a get-together with some philosophers here in Stockholm -- a
mixture of (so-called...) analytic philosophers from Stockholm
University and Continental philosophers from Södertörn University, and
lo and behold, a heated discussion of Anders' just-(re-)published
Guardian article arose. Good to see academic types -- esp. those who
typically focus on Hegel and Heidegger & co. -- taking up these issues.
The article seemed deftly designed to pose the important questions
without getting into realms, or using terms (like "singularity"), that
can come across as flaky.

The role of the philosopher is still fundamentally Socratic in my view:
getting people to question what they think they know. So, Socratically
well done, Anders!

Brian