[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

Stephen Van Sickle sjv2006 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 20:20:55 UTC 2014

On Jun 5, 2014 11:01 AM, "Keith Henson" <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I was forced to guess, I would say that hole is uploading and
> probably massive speeding up.

One possible twist on that:  after a geologically short period of time (10
minutes? 100 years?  A million?) of massively accelerated thought, the
aliens have collected all the easily available data and thought about them
deeply enough to realize this is a really boring epoch in the history of
the universe.  Possible reasons for this range from a future phase change
in the universe, to a timed vault containing the Archives of The Ones Who
Created Us, to a massive beacon blaring "let's everyone meet up at +10^9
years for a Really Big Party".

Once they realized this this, the aliens (let's call them "The Great Old
Ones") cover up any traces of their existence and go to "sleep" somewhere
hidden and safe, like the bottom of a deep planetary ocean.  Naturally,
anyone accidentally waking one would find it surly and rather hungry...

I call this the Lovecraft Hypothesis.  And despite the snark, I take it
half seriously.  I think that there are reasons a being or civilization may
want to massively slow its clock rate, and this supposition may provide
testable predictions.

At the very least, we should tread carefully exploring Europa's ocean...

sv