[ExI] Be nice to leftists

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 6 20:37:38 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Tara Maya
Subject: Re: [ExI] Be nice to leftists

>.Governments exist to ensure that the free and consensual exchange of
ideas, labor and goods is possible, and if they overstep their bounds they
become slave masters and thieves instead of our protectors.Tara Maya

Excellent post Tara, exceedingly good, thanks for this.

I am surprised really that in our modern day we need to defend capitalism at
all.  With all we have seen, the serial collapse of every communist regime,
the capitalist march of China and Vietnam, the post-child epic fail which is
North Korea, it should be perfectly self-evident.

Now we have a new challenge coming.  Just as state and local governments are
debating a huge increase in minimum wages, we have waiting in the wings the
technology to completely automate the classic low-end job, fast food.
Robots can flip burgers, and they can do everything we currently hire
minimum wage workers to do.  If the minimum wage goes up as high as the
proponents suggest, so many of these jobs disappear.  Consider also the poor
slob who has been working at one of these crummy jobs for years, shown up on
time, refrained from stealing, been a good employee, etc, so now she has
worked her wage up to 15 bucks an hour.  Now suddenly she is back to minimum
wage, making the same as those she is expected to supervise, as the place
closes the door to make way for the robots.  Hmmm.

Turns out Jeremy Rifkin was partially right, but for the wrong reasons.