[ExI] Jarheads

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 08:42:24 UTC 2014

Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

 > On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com>
wrote:

 >> I can't help but think of Futurama's Heads in Jars.
 >>

 >### Let's think about it! You need the following components, all of them
 >only about 20% of regular human size or less:
 >
 >1. Heart - can be impeller-driven, already available,
 >2. Lung - could be grown from a 3D printed scaffold, small rodent size
 >alpha release versions already available. Could use donor tissue, a small
 >bit of lung would be enough
 >3. Liver - can be definitely grown in the lab
 >4. Kidney - not yet grown but could use a small bit of donor kidney
 >5. Hematopoietic tissue - doable, maybe could induce hematopoiesis in the
 >liver or even skull marrow
 >6. Vascular system - doable today, can be 3D printed and seeded
 >7. Various endocrine tissues - bits of endocrine pancreas, adrenals, could
 >use donor tissue
 >
 >We dispense with GI tract, GU organs except kidney, skeleton, muscle.
Would

Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> added:

 >What about hormone glands?  Wouldn't you need to replicate them as well?

Yes.  Hormones are important for keeping the brain happy!

Let's take the idea a bit further:  Instead of a head in a jar, why not
a brain in a 'jar' or rather a sealed, armoured container with
connections to the cardiovascular, lymphatic and nervous networks,
housed in a robotic body that also contains the life-support biological
parts, sense organs, a set of control systems, and a bunch of new organs
to replace the ancillary functions of the original parts that have been
eliminated (eg. bone doesn't just support your weight, it also acts as a
reservior of calcium and phosphorus, lungs play a part in blood-pressure
regulation, etc.)

Perhaps it would be possible to create something like the avatars in the
film 'Surrogates', but with the difference that they contain the brain
and a set of essential biological organs keeping it alive?

Ben Zaiboc