[ExI] siri isn't quite there yet... but goostman is...

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:13:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM, spike wrote:
<snip>
> That being said, we have Goostman now, and it works on a PC or any ordinary
> computer, and I NEED it right NOW because I have an elderly relative who
> could benefit NOW so where can I buy it?  Honestly I don't care if it passes
> Turing's test.  If it fooled a third of sophisticated judges, it can easily
> pass as a human to impaired and richly deserving lonely patients, and I do
> mean RIGHT NOW, so where can I buy it and can I buy a beta version or a
> knockoff, and where are the commerce-minded researchers on the Goostman team
> who know how the thing works who are setting up their own companies to make
> a pile of money, because I will be one of her first customers, even if the
> thing fails to fool 2/3 of the judges, but please hurry please hurry, our
> time is short and the need is great.

Goostman doesn't actually 'chat'. It is a script program that you type
question and answer to.
Try it here:
<http://default-environment-sdqm3mrmp4.elasticbeanstalk.com/>

The Turing test has a five minute time limit, because after that the
human.

So, first they need to add a much larger script library of responses.
Then they need to add voice input and output. And even Google is
struggling with that.
I think Goostman is years away from a talking bot friend.

I believe Watson is trying to add voice I/O for medical diagnosis, so
they may be further ahead.

BillK